Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

A Cut Above - day 6

Day 6 - Embossing with folders and dies.  These techniques were great, but I just couldn't seem to decide what to do - and then.... I remembered a card I saw on Splitcoast Stampers.  This is the beautiful card by Angie Leach that inspired both the layout and the technique I used on my card. I was in love with the depth this faux patina created and I had been wanting to try this on my own.  She has a tutorial over at her blog, and her technique uses Stampin' Up! inks.  I chose to use my distress ink pads for this technique, and it doesn't have quite the same beautiful depth of hers, but I do like the results.




I used the postage embossing folder from Tim Holtz' collection and several shades of ink (antique linen, scattered straw, dried marigold, vintage photo, walnut stain - maybe more).  The border is a fiskars punch and the label is a spellbinders die, sprayed with a moonshadow mist with copper pearl accents.  Paper Wings Melange 5 Architecture set provided the focal image and the copper accent, and the sentiment is a rub on from Stampin' Up!  



I was looking at this set and saw the small stamp with the writing plume and it made me think of old letter writing and wax seals.  So, I used some embossing ink sponged on some paper and embossed copper embossing poweder in about 6 layers to get the depth that I was looking for.  I put the rubber stamp into versamark ink to provide a "non-stick" surface to the stamp so it wouldn't get stuck during the impression.  I then trimmed the image and used a foam dot to add it to the card.  I think it makes a fun accent.  I haven't done that technique in years and I'm happy with the results.

I hope this inspires you to look at your stamps in a new way.  Happy Stamping!

Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment